Ads by Google Ads by Google

Court News

The twenty-year old man who broke into a home and assaulted another man as well as trying to stab him with a pair of scissors is facing four charges, including burglary in the first degree, a felony punishable by five to fifteen years imprisonment.

Taligalu Ah Siu is also charged with assault in the second degree, also a felony, punishable by up to five years imprisonment, a $5,000 fine or both, as well as two misdemeanors - underage drinking and private peace disturbance.

Ah Siu, whose bail is set at $25,000, was first taken into custody last week and yesterday he returned to the District Court where the government filed additional charges during a preliminary examination hearing.

The defendant waived his rights to the preliminary examination hearing and his case was bound over to the High Court where he will be arraigned today with a plea expected to be entered.

According to court affidavit, a man contacted police in the early morning hours of Nov. 19 to report that someone had broken into his home and assaulted him.

The complaining witness told police that he was sleeping when he turned to the side of his bed and saw a man standing next to it. The man was later identified as Ah Siu, said court documents.

The victim alleges that the man hit him on the face with his (the victim's) computer monitor that was on his desk. When the victim then stood up to see who it was, the defendant came at him with a pair of scissors trying to stab him and missed, the government alleges.

According to court documents, the victim was able to kick Ah Siu down and then run to the front bedroom door. Family members who were alarmed by the noise rushed to see what was happening. The defendant tried to escape but family members were able to catch and detain him until police arrived and took the defendant into custody.

Court documents say police observed a swollen lump on the victim's forehead as a result of the assault. Additionally, Ah Siu was "clearly intoxicated" with the smell of alcohol coming from his breath.


The driver of a pick up truck involved in a traffic accident Monday night in Satala has been charged with careless driving, negligence and driving while under the influence of alcohol, but the incident is still being investigated by police.

Fu Yung Lin appeared in District Court yesterday where he denied the charges and his next court appearance is set for Dec. 6. The court informed the defendant to find an attorney by the time of the next hearing, because his financial records filed with the court show that he can afford a private attorney.

The government informed the court that they are looking at the possibility of filing additional charges but that won't be known until the ongoing investigation is completed. The government hopes that by Dec. 6 they will know if additional charges can be filed.

Lin was warned by the court not to leave the territory while he is out on bail, because his case is pending in court, and not to violate any law.

Lin was driving the pick up truck that got into the accident that occurred around 8 p.m. Monday. Details of the accident are not yet available as the investigation is on going.


Three women are accused by the government of assaulting another woman at the beach at Fatumafuti on Thanksgiving Day. All three appeared Monday during their District Court appearance and denied the allegation.

Serra Mauga, Evelyn Mauga and Le'alai Mauga have each been charged with a misdemeanor third degree assault and all three are released on their own recognizance with the court warning them not to make any direct or indirect contact with the complaining witness.

According to court information, the three sisters called out to the victim and her family on the beach to hurry up and leave the area. One of the defendants then went down to the ocean and pulled the victim out of the ocean, while the other defendant punched the victim, with the third defendant joining in the assault.

It remains unclear as to what actually caused the assault.


A Chinese man accused of assaulting another Chinese man with a machete was arraigned in High Court yesterday where the defendant entered a not guilty plea to the charge of second degree assault.

Quin Sun's case was bound over from District Court two weeks ago, but the arraignment hearing was delayed due to the lack of a Chinese translator. Sun remains in custody due to his immigration status. His pre trial conference is set for later next month.

The charge against Sun stems from an incident that occurred earlier this month at a vegetable planation in Futiga where the defendant and the victim worked.


The government has charged Fa'afouing Muliaga with third degree property damage after he allegedly damaged a neighbor's banana planation and then took off with some bananas.

Muliaga during his recently District Court hearing denied the charge and his next court appearance is set for next week. He has been released on his own recognizance but the court ordered him to stay away from the complaining family and not to make any contact. The incident occurred in Vailoatai.

Samoa News reporters Ausage Fausia and Fili Sagapolutele contributed to this report.