COURT REPORT: Siaumau Siaumau Jr consults with family about new attorney
Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A convicted murderer who is serving a life sentence for the fatal shooting of police Det. Lt. Lusila Brown outside the temporary High Court building in Malaloa in July 2010 appeared in court last week for a status hearing.
Siaumau Siaumau Jr represented himself when he appeared in court, while Assistant Attorney General Laura Garvey appeared for the government.
When Siaumau Jr’s case was called, the defendant told the court that he had no idea why he was brought into court that morning. Kruse told him that it was the court who put his case back on calendar because his former defense attorney, Mark Ude was no longer in the territory.
When asked by the court what he wanted to do, whether he wanted to represent himself or whether he wanted the court to appoint someone from the Public Defender’s office to take over his matter, Siaumau Jr asked the court to give him some time to consult with his family and to see what they wanted to do before he comes back to the court.
Kruse accepted Siaumau Jr’s request and gave him 90 days to consult with his family.
Siaumau Jr’s next hearing is set for July 2, 2020.
Samoa News understands that there were outstanding motions Ude had filed in court before he left. None of those motions had come before the court since Siaumau Jr was sentenced in April 2016. One of these motions asks the court to reconsider its decision against Siaumau Jr.
Siaumau Jr was originally charged with first-degree murder, and 13 other felonies including 2 counts of attempted murder of two other police officers.
In April of 2016, the court sent Siaumau Jr to jail for life for the murder of Det. Lt. Brown on July 2010. He was also handed two ten- sentences for the attempted murder of two other police officers. The sentences are to be served concurrently.
A man convicted of unlawful use of a weapon when he threatened his ex-girlfriend with a gun before he fired a single shot into the ground was released from the Territorial Correctional Facility (TCF) for 90 days to seek and secure gainful employment.
Apeluolefeagaiga Filipo, who had been in custody since his arrest last year, unable to post a $5,000 surety bond appeared in High Court on Apr. 21 for sentencing. However, his sentence was continued for another week because the court wanted to hear from the Immigration Office regarding Filipo’s immigration status.
Filipo’s attorney, Rob McNeill told the court that his client told him his immigration status expired in Feb. 5, 2019. His wife, who is his sponsor, renewed his immigration I.D at the time but since he has been in custody, it expired on Feb. 4, 2020.
However, prosecutor, Laura Garvey told the court that Filipo’s immigration expired on Feb. 5, 2019, which mean, he’s an overstayer.
McNeill told the court that according to his client’s wife, she is willing to renew Filipo’s immigration status.
Chief Justice Michael Kruse told McNeill that his problem is that she (the wife) told Probation that she wants the defendant deported.
Filipo re-appeared in court on Apr. 28 for sentencing, where he was sentenced to five years imprisonment and a fine of $1,000.
Execution of the imprisonment term was suspended and Filipo was placed on probation for 5 years subject to several conditions.
He was ordered to serve 20 months at the TCF. He was credited for the time he served and released for 90 days to seek and secure gainful employment.
If he can’t secure gainful employment, the court will order him back to TCF to serve the remaining of his period of detention.
Upon release from detention, the court ordered that he immediately depart the territory and remain outside of its border for the duration of his probation.
Filipo was ordered to pay his fine, not consume alcohol of any illegal drugs. He must submit himself for testing at the demand of the Probation Office to make sure he’s in compliance with the stay clean conditions.
The court also ordered Filipo not to have any contact with his ex-girlfriend, nor possess any firearm throughout the time of his probation.
A man who is on probation for a drug conviction from last year is now in custody after he was served with a copy of the bench warrant for failure to appear in court for a hearing last month.
When Ronald Pickering appeared in court on Apr. 29, 2020, he was then served with an OSC (Order to Show Cause) for failure to comply with conditions of his 5 years probation, after he allegedly tested positive for meth.
The court informed the defendant he would be remanded into custody because the court has no time to keep looking for him after he failed to appeared in court for two separate hearings.
Pickering is scheduled to appear in court this Wednesday, May 8th for his preliminary examination.
Pickering was sentenced to 5 years imprisonment and a $2,000 fine. Execution of jail time was suspended and he was placed on probation for 5 years subject to several conditions. He has to serve 20 months at the TCF; 180 days first, and the balance be served by further order of the court.
He was ordered to remain alcohol and drugs free, and is subject to random testing.