FEMA is providing COVID-19 assistance with funeral expenses
Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — U.S. Nationals and Citizens, as well as qualified aliens who have lost a loved one to COVID are now eligible for FEMA funeral assistance, providing the death certificate indicates the death was attributed to or caused by COVID-19.
“There are several guidelines that applicants need to make sure they understand, and be in line with before we start processing requests,” stated Governor Lemanu. “We do not want to turn away anyone seeking assistance, but we need to know what the requirements are for eligibility.
“I personally want to thank Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas for all his efforts in ensuring American Samoa is included in receiving these benefits during such a challenging time. We also commend Director of Homeland Security Samana Semo Ve’ve’a for taking the lead on this endeavor. I encourage all families who meet the requirements to apply for this assistance.”
According to FEMA, to be eligible, you must meet the following conditions:
● The death must have occurred in the United States, including the US territories and the District of Columbia.
● The death certificate must indicate the death was attributed to or caused by COVID-19.
● The applicant must be a US citizen, non-citizen national, or a qualified alien who incurred funeral expenses after January 20, 2020.
● There is no requirement for the deceased person to have been a US citizen, non-citizen national, or qualified alien.
Expenses that qualify for reimbursement are:
● Transportation for up to two people to identify the deceased individual
● The transfer of remains, a casket or urn
● A burial plot or cremation niche
● A marker or headstone
● Clergy or officiant services
● The arrangement of a funeral ceremony
● The use of funeral home equipment or staff
● Cremation or interment costs
● Costs associated with producing multiple death certificates
The American Samoa Department of Homeland Security point of contact is Laauli Ifopo and for the Office of the Governor it is Mapu Jamais.
The information that you need to provide for FEMA is listed on the website below.
Please contact the local the American Samoa Emergency Operations Center at 699-3800 for further assistance.
Or visit the FEMA directly online: FEMA.gov/funeral-assistance/faq