Ads by Google Ads by Google

Man arrested for assaulting his wife with bail set at $1,000

Court Report logo

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — A 40-year-old man who was arrested by police last month and held at the Territorial Correctional Facility (TCF) for two nights for allegedly assaulting his wife, made his initial appearance in District Court last month after which the case was transferred to the Family, Drug & Alcohol Court (FDA.

 (To protect the identity of victims in domestic violence cases, Samoa News is withholding the names of the parties involved.)

According to court documents, around 4:45p.m on Jan. 26, 2022, the alleged victim was brought into Central Police Station by a representative from the Department of Human Social Services because she had been allegedly assaulted by her husband. The matter was then handled by a detective from the DPS Criminal Investigation Division (CID).

The government claimed that the woman seemed scared and hesitant to talk to police when she was first brought in for an interview. However during the interview, she agreed to talk.

She stated to police that her husband came home intoxicated and they got into a verbal confrontation at their home. She stated that her husband cussed at her, said cruel things to her, threw things at her and punched the walls. He also grabbed the car keys and she told him to give her the keys because he was intoxicated.

The confrontation became physical when the defendant allegedly assaulted his wife by punching her in the face. The victim walked away but when she turned around, he punched her again. She then walked into the house to compose herself.

Around 9 p.m on the same day, police officers headed to the family’s home to locate the defendant. Police found him at home, and officers asked him to accompany them to the police station. They then explained to the husband the reason they needed to speak to him.

While on his way to the police station with the officers, the defendant called his wife and asked her why she went to the police. According to the government, the husband became agitated and questioned his wife’s actions and belittled her over the phone. He was then asked by police officers to hang up the phone.

That is when the defendant told police that he and his wife went after he got off work to drink and socialize with friends. He also stated to police that his wife went home and he stayed to hang out some more. Afterwards he went home and his wife started an argument with him.

Police then asked the husband if he assaulted his wife, and his response was “yes”. The husband did not go into details of what happened.

After he was Mirandized, police officers again asked the husband if he assaulted his wife. The defendant stated, “Yes”.

During the interview with police, the defendant was crying and apologized for his actions. He also admitted to police everything his wife had told them. He said he wanted to go to jail for a long time so that his wife would no longer see him around the house. He also told police that it was his wife who started the argument, not him.

The defendant is facing a single count of 3rd-degree assault, a class A misdemeanor, punishable by a term of imprisonment of up to one year, and a fine of up to $1,000, or both.

During court proceedings last week, the defense attorney asked that his client be released on his own recognizance, arguing that his client is a first time offender who is employed as a maintenance worker at a private company. He said his client is a hard working family man and he has secured another place to stay while his case is pending.

The prosecutor opposed the defense’s motion, saying the allegations against the defendant are serious and he must be kept in custody to ensure the victim's safety.

The court however said that based on the circumstances surrounding the alleged incident, the court feels the bail amount already set at $1,000 is reasonable; and if the defendant is able to post the cash bond, he is subject to usual bond restrictions, including the defendant not to have direct or indirect contact with the victim along with his three young children, and if he encounters them in public, he is to walk away from them.

The case is now transferred to the Family, Drug & Alcohol Court (FDA), and his next hearing will be next month.