Ads by Google Ads by Google

Manhunt continues for TCF escaped convict, Thomas Siaumau

Police Commissioner Le’i Sonny Thompson
Police Commissioner breaks his silence, issues public statement

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — As of yesterday afternoon, police were still searching for escaped convict, Thomas Siaumau, who walked out of the TCF last Wednesday night.

A swarm of cops was spotted at the Tafuna International Airport during flight night last Thursday and also last night. Police have also been checking flights heading to Samoa. A senior officer said law enforcement has received numerous tips from the public regarding Siaumau’s escape.

Sources tell Samoa News that they can’t obtain a stop order for Siaumau because he’s a US national and therefore, they have to be physically present at the airport to look out for him.

A senior police officer said the only way for them to be able to search Siaumau’s residence and any other areas he’s believed to be hiding, is to obtain a search warrant from the court, which Samoa News understands DPS is currently asking the court for.

There has been public outrage in the five days since Siamau was reported missing, as there was no public announcement from Police Commissioner Le’i Sonny Thompson, informing the community that a convicted felon was on the loose.

The silence has since been broken.

According to Le’i, local law enforcement is searching for Siaumau, who escaped from TCF on Wednesday at approximately 8p.m., following a routine inmate recount.

Siaumau was absent from his assigned cell.

Le’i said DPS personnel has conducted escape procedures and activated inmate recovery teams.

“Thomas Siaumau was convicted in May of seven counts related to the 2017 shooting of a police vehicle at the Tony Solaita Baseball Field. If you see him in public, do not approach him and contact the Department of Public Safety,” Le’i said.

The Commissioner is asking the public to share with his office any information that may lead to the apprehension or arrest of Siaumau.

At the time of his escape, Siaumau was serving a 30-year sentence handed down by a jury earlier this year.