Ads by Google Ads by Google

No new info on “unidentified fumes” at Carl’s Jr.

Scene at Carl's Jr. on Nov. 26, 2022

Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — Carl’s Jr. restaurant was reopened after it was shutdown for “maintenance and clean up work” when employees were possibly affected by unidentified fumes and were taken to the hospital on Saturday Nov. 26. 

The shutdown was to “ keep in line with [Department of Health’s Environmental Health Services Division] guidelines,” said Phil Love, Forsgren Foods Inc- DBA Carl's Junior Operations and Marketing Manager in response to Samoa News questions.

As reported earlier, eight Carl’s Jr employees were possibly affected by unidentified fumes and were taken to the hospital, with six later cleared to go home while two remained at the hospital for observation.

Love also told Samoa News “there was no evidence of any gas leak that would have caused the incident and no customers were affected.” He confirmed that the employees affected have been given leave time by doctors through Dec. 1, 2022.

No customers were affected said Mr Love.

Meantime the U.S Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) is now investigating this matter.

U.S Labor Department (USDOL) Regional spokesman, Jose Carnevali, told Samoa News, the federal OSHA is looking into this matter.

 “At this time we cannot provide further information or details.”

Among the specific questions to USDOL, is whether OSHA has received information on this incident and if they are investigating and the length of such a probe — if one has been initiated.

As the story was also posted on Samoa News online on Tuesday, both local and off-island readers were concerned with “unidentified fumes” — as cited in the story — and also concerned with Love’s statement of no evidence of any gas leak.

Samoa News readers queried as to whether USDOL/ OSHA is taking a lead in conducting a probe, especially when there were reports of a video that circulated online — also reported by Samoa News — that showed Carl’s Jr employees on the floor gasping for breath, as well as other staff who seemed to have fainted.