National Weather Service tsunami advisory now in effect for Am Samoa
Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — .A tsunami advisory is now in effect for American Samoa, according to the National Weather Service, Pago Pago after an earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.9 occurred about 127 miles south of Upolu island today.
A tsunami was generated by this earthquake and based on all available data, there is a threat to American Samoa of sea level fluctuations and strong ocean currents that could be a hazard along beaches, in harbors, and in coastal waters.
* persons in or near the ocean along the coasts of all of American Samoa should move immediately out of the water and away from beaches and harbors.
* do not return to evacuated areas until the all clear is given by local authorities.
* persons in the ocean should get out of the water.
* persons near the ocean should move away from beaches and harbors.
* follow any instructions from government agencies.