Ads by Google Ads by Google

Worker allegedly assaults another employee after “unfair” work assignment


Pago Pago, AMERICAN SAMOA — On March 15, 2024, an employee of McConnell Dowell contacted the Tafuna Police Substation (TPS) seeking assistance regarding a male employee who allegedly assaulted a female employee.

Stone Filisi was arrested and later charged with the following:

Count 1: Assault in the Third Degree, a class A misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for up to one (1) year, a fine of $1,000, or both.

The defendant’s bail was set at $1,000.

According to the affidavit, on March 15, at about 4:44 pm, a McConnell Dowell employee contacted the TPS in need of assistance in regards to a male employee who assaulted a female employee with his safety helmet.

The reporter of the said call also stated that the suspect, who goes by the name of Stone, had left the compound and was heading towards the stadium.

Dispatch then informed the reporter to transport the victim to TPS while police officers responded to the call to locate the suspect, of which they were unsuccessful.

On the same date at about 5:00 pm, the victim and her supervisor (witness) walked into TPS to give information. At the time, the Police suggested to the victim to have a checkup from EMS, but she refused medical attention. Officers did not observe any visible injuries on the victim.

Police officers also interviewed 2 witnesses and they (witnesses) also provided written statements afterwards.

According to the first witness, “As stated by the victim, as the day was about to end, she was shocked when Stone Filisi assaulted her using his safety helmet”. The witness explained that she was standing behind the defendant when he swung his safety helmet.

The second witness and also the victim’s supervisor, stated that the defendant walked up to her, and pumped his fist at her and said “Thank you boss for everything”. She asked the defendant why he was saying thank you but he ignored her while he turned around and swung his safety helmet at the victim’s face.

According to the affidavit, the defendant was Mirandized on the same day, at about 5:48p.m, and he agreed to make a statement.

According to the defendant’s verbal statement, he left the compound at about 12:00 pm and made his way to John’s store in Petesa. He explained he bought 2 cans of beer and drank them before going back to work.

The defendant stated that he was exhausted and irritated due to too many responsibilities that were given to him by the victim.

The defendant said that he didn’t accept the fact that he was given orders while one of the witnesses and the victim were sitting around not doing anything. As a result, it made him angry.

Stone Filisi was booked at TPS and confined at the Tafuna Correctional Facility for 48 hours.

The defendant is identified as a 19-year-old U.S National.