Ads by Google Ads by Google

Upgrade set for Tafuna Power Plant

[photo: ASPA]

This undated photo provided by the American Samoa Power Authority shows the current Tafuna Power Plant, which was constructed in 1972 and will receive a major facelift and be hardened to withstand hurricane force winds.

ASPA says in a statement that the work will focus primarily on structural improvements, ventilation and lighting inside the plant. “Our neighbors will experience a significant reduction in noise pollution due to the building’s new noise control design,” said ASPA.

The power plant refurbishing project costs $1.75 million with 90% funded by the US Federal Emergency Management Agency under a hazard mitigation grant with ASPA, which is providing the remaining 10% of the project cost.

Paramount Builders has been awarded the contract after a request for proposals for the rehabilitation work was advertised for 45 days. The project rehabilitation began this month and is expected to last 6 to 8 months.